Welcome back to a brand new school year 2021. We hope you all had a relaxing and enjoyable time with your family and friends over the summer holidays. All the children are settling into their classrooms, establishing routines, getting to know their teachers and making new friends.
The Inquiry focus in Term 1 for the Year 1 and 2 students will be Relationships—‘Healthy Me’. As we get to know each other we will learn about our families, relationships, identifying our personal strengths and emotions and how to make positive choices to improve our mental wellbeing.
Throughout term 1 students will focus on:
- developing their knowledge and understanding of letter/sound patterns using the SMART Spelling Program
- developing their ability to identify common and proper nouns, adjectives, verbs and adverbs
- developing their knowledge and understanding of when to use capital letters and full stops
- developing their knowledge and understanding of simple sentences
- participating in explicit reading and writing sessions
- reading and creating their own: Recount and Descriptive text types
- practising a range of CAFÉ reading strategies: Comprehension, Accuracy, Fluency and Expand Vocabulary
- practising letter formation, shape and size.
The mathematical topics to be covered this term are; counting, place value, 2D shapes and 3D shapes. At the commencement of maths lessons there will be a ten minute focus on developing automatic recall of number facts.
For more information about our 1/2 program, please see the term newsletter here.